Christmas leftovers: Mini turkey cakes
See more recipes in this week's Woman's Day.
potatoes, 350g, peeled, chopped
garlic, 2 cloves, crushed
butter, 30g, chopped
onion, 1, finely chopped
cooked turkey meat, 250g,
coriander leaves, chopped, 1/3 cup,
eggs, 1, plus 2 extra, lightly beaten
fresh breadcrumbs, 2 cups
oil, to shallow-fry
rocket leaves, to serve
SWEET CHILLI SAUCE
water, 1½ cups
sugar, 1 cup
ginger, 5mm piece, peeled,
long red chilli, 1, finely chopped
mint, ½ cup, picked leaves
lime, 1, juice
fish sauce, to taste
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil on high. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 8-10 minutes, until tender. Drain well. Mash with garlic. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan. Saute onion 1-2 minutes, until tender. Add to potato with turkey, coriander, egg and 1/3 cup breadcrumbs. Season to taste and mix well. Chill 1 hour.
- SWEET CHILLI SAUCE: In a small saucepan, combine water and sugar. Stir over a low heat until sugar dissolves. Add ginger and chilli, and simmer 3-4 minutes, until mixture becomes syrupy. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Add mint, juice and fish sauce.
- Preheat oven to slow, 150°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Shape 1½ heaped tablespoons of potato mixture into flattened patties. Dip in extra egg then roll in remaining breadcrumbs to coat. Place on tray. Chill 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium. Cook patties in 3 batches, 1-2 minutes each side, until golden. Drain on paper towel. Keep warm in oven. Top with rocket leaves and serve with sweet chilli sauce.
See full comment guidelines
- Personal attacks
- Irrelevant comments
- HTML tags
- Personal information
- Offensive language
- Text in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS
Thank you for sharing your opinions with other users of
NineMSN. People will find your comments more helpful if you include
relevant information and avoid some common pitfalls.
Please note: All reviews and comments submitted are subject to moderation, NineMSN reserves the right to alter and / or remove any content that does not comply with usage guidelines.
What to include in your comment:
- A title that briefly summarizes the opinion expressed in the
- Additional comments adding more detail.
- Comparisons to other similar products, if this is relevant.
- To create a new paragraph, press the Enter key twice.
What not to include:
- Information that will quickly go out of date.
- Comments on other comments or commenters.
- Language that other users may find offensive.
- comments of one sentence or less. Provide information to support your
- Personal information like your email address or telephone number.
- HTML coding. Tags like <b> or <i> will not be recognized.