Night owl biscuits
See more recipes in this week's Woman's Day.
butter, 125g, chopped
caster sugar, ½ cup
eggs, 2, lightly beaten
vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon
self-raising flour, 2½ cups, sifted
Mini Oreo biscuits, 115g pack
Mini M&M’s, 340g packet
pure icing sugar, 1½ cups, sifted
blue and orange food colouring
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until pale and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla, then fold in flour until well combined.
- Turn mixture out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until smooth. Press dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- Roll dough out between 2 sheets baking paper until 3mm thick. Using a 6cm bell-shaped cutter (see tip), cut shapes from dough. Transfer to trays. Chill 15 minutes.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, until golden. Cool on tray 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- ROYAL ICING: Place egg-white in a bowl. Gradually whisk in icing sugar until smooth. Spoon ¼ cup into a small bowl. Tint with a few drops blue colouring. Tint remaining orange. Transfer to separate piping bags (or small snap-lock bags).
- Invert biscuits. Using orange icing, pipe a thin border around edge of biscuits. Pipe in centre to fill. Use blue icing to pipe on wings as shown.
- Twist Oreos in half. Position biscuits for eyes. Press a brown M&M into centre of each for pupils. Press a yellow M&M underneath eyes for a beak. Allow to set at room temperature.
- If you can’t find a bell-shaped cutter, make a bell template from heavy card, place on dough and cut around it.