Chicken sausage rolls
Chicken sausage rolls by A. Caputo, Port Pirie, SA.
3 potatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 rashers rindless bacon, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
250g chicken mince
150g sausage mince
½ teaspoon curry powder
4 sheets puff pastry
1 egg, lightly beaten
tomato sauce, to serve
- Preheat oven to hot, 200°C. Line 3 baking trays with foil. Lightly spray with oil.
- Place potatoes in a saucepan of water. Bring to boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain well and mash until smooth. Cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium frying pan on high. Sauté bacon, onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes until onion is tender. Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine mashed potato, bacon mixture, chicken and sausage mince and curry powder. Season to taste.
- Cut each sheet of pastry in half. Divide mince mixture into 8 portions. Shape each into logs along the long edge of each piece of pastry. Roll up tightly to seal.
- Cut each roll into 6 pieces. Arrange, seam side down, 3cm apart on prepared trays. Brush with egg.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. Serve with tomato sauce.
- You can cook half the sausage rolls and freeze the remaining, wrapping in GLAD wrap and then foil. You can also line trays with GLAD baking paper.
- They will cut easier if you freeze them until just firm. This prevents the filling from coming out the sides.