Caramelised onion and feta tarts
Caramelised onion and feta tarts sent in by Fern Warren of Rowville, Victoria.
olive oil, 1 tablespoon
red onions, 2, sliced
thyme leaves, ½ teaspoon
balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons
brown sugar, 2 tablespoons
frozen puff pastry, 2 sheets, thawed
egg, 1, lightly beaten
feta, 250g, crumbled
- Preheat oven to very hot, 220°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Heat oil in a saucepan on low. Cook onion and thyme 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Stir in vinegar and sugar, and cook a further 10-15 minutes, until thick and “jammy”.
- Using a 7cm round cutter, cut out pastry circles. Arrange on tray and brush lightly with egg. Bake 5-7 minutes, until puffed and golden. Cool slightly on trays.
- Top each pastry round with feta and caramelised onions.
- Red onions produce a slightly sweeter result, but if you don’t have red, use either white or brown.