Mother's Day breakfast: French toast with warm fruit compote
Serves 4Cooking time:
Less than 30 minutesSpecial options: VegetarianCourse: Breakfast
This week we have created a selection of recipes that your children can prepare easily with a little help from dad so you can be pampered all day!
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch ground nutmeg
3 peaches, stones removed, thickly sliced (see tip)
½ cup milk
2 tablespoons icing sugar mixture
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
4 slices thick white bread
Vanilla yoghurt, extra icing sugar mixture, to serve
- In a medium saucepan combine brown sugar, water and spices. Stir on low heat for 1-2 minutes, until sugar dissolves.
- Add peaches. Simmer, uncovered, 3-5 minutes until peaches just soften (see tip).
- French toast: Meanwhile, in a medium shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, icing sugar and vanilla.
- Melt half the butter in a large frying pan on medium. Dip 2 slices of bread in egg mixture to coat all over. Cook 3-4 minutes each side until golden. Drain on paper towel. Repeat with remaining bread, adding more butter as needed.
- Serve french toast with warm fruit compote and vanilla yoghurt. Dust with extra icing sugar.
Drained, sliced peach halves can be used. Heat just 1 minute, to warm through.
For more wonderful recipes to cook for Mum, see this week's Woman's Day
(on sale April 27).