Gluten-free chocolate cupcakes
Lemon and apricot friands recipe.
1 cup rice flour
¾ cup cornflour
1/3 cup cocoa
1¼ teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup buttermilk
125g butter, melted
1½ cups frozen raspberries
Whipped cream and cocoa powder, to serve
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper patty cases.
- Sift combined flours, cocoa and soda together into a large bowl. Stir in sugar.
- In a jug, whisk together buttermilk, butter and eggs. Fold into dry ingredients. Add raspberries and lightly mix.
- Spoon mixture evenly into patty cases until 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely. When ready to serve, slice tops off, top with cream, return tops and dust with cocoa powder.
- These cakes are also delicious topped with glacé icing. This can be made from gluten-free icing sugar, cocoa, a knob of butter and a little hot water, mixed together until a spreadable consistency.
For more gluten-free, dairy-free and egg-free recipes, see this week's Woman's Day
(on-sale October 6, 2008)