Flourless chocolate and raspberry cake
Serves 10 or moreCooking time:
More than 1 hourCourse: Cakes/baking
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup boiling water
200g dark eating chocolate, chopped
150g butter, chopped
1½ cups almond meal
1 1/3 cups brown sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 cup frozen raspberries, thawed, drained on paper towel
whipped cream and extra raspberries, to serve
- Preheat oven to slow, 150°C. Lightly grease a 22cm round cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper.
- In a small bowl, blend cocoa with water until smooth.
- In a medium heat-proof bowl, combine dark chocolate and butter. Place over a saucepan of gently simmering water, stirring until melted.
- Remove from heat. Blend in cocoa mixture, almond, sugar and yolks. Fold in raspberries.
- In a small bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg-whites until soft peaks form. Lightly fold into chocolate mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour 45 minutes until a skewer comes out clean when tested.
- Cool cake in pan for 15 minutes, before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve in wedges with whipped cream and raspberries.
Fresh raspberries can be used in place of frozen raspberries, if in season. Stand thawed raspberries on paper towel for at least 10 minutes.