1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain flour, sifted
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup desiccated coconut
125g butter, chopped
1 tablespoon golden syrup
2 tablespoons boiling water
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat oven to moderately slow, 160°C. Lightly grease 4 baking trays.
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, sugar and coconut.
- In a small pan, combine butter and golden syrup. Stir over low heat for 2-3 minutes until melted.
- In a small jug, combine water and bicarbonate of soda. Stir into butter mixture. Pour into dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Roll walnut-sized pieces of mixture into balls. Arrange on prepared trays, leaving a 4cm space between each biscuit to allow for spreading. Press lightly to flatten.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
These biscuits will harden on cooling. To maintain crispness, store in an airtight container. To make little Anzac sandwiches (see photo), take teaspoons of mixture and cook for 8-10 minutes. Cool, then sandwich together with Nutella spread.More recipesGinger and butterscotch biscuitsMuesli cookiesPepita and sesame slice