Flourless chocolate dessert cake
1 x 200g block dark chocolate, chopped
200g butter, chopped
4 eggs, separated
1 cup caster sugar
Mixed berries and whipped cream to serve
Cocoa powder and fresh mint leaves to decorate
1. Grease a deep 22cm round springform cake tin; line base with baking paper. Place tin on an oven tray.
2. Combine chocolate and butter in a small pan; stir over heat until smooth.
3. Beat egg yolks and half the sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until pale and thick; fold in chocolate mixture.
4. Beat egg whites in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until sugar is dissolved between additions. Fold into chocolate mixture. Pour mixture into prepared tin.
5. Cook in a moderate oven, 180C, for about one hour, or until firm to touch. Cool cake in tin on a wire rack before removing.
6. Serve cake with mixed berries and whipped cream. Dust with sifted cocoa; decorate with fresh mint leaves.
Hint: Cake is best made on the day of serving. For a special occasion, toss mixed berries with a little caster sugar and a splash Grand Marnier just before serving.