Serves 4Cuisine type: AsianCooking time:
More than 2 hoursCourse: Lunch
See more recipes in this Week's Woman's Day.
peanut oil, 1 tablespoon
fresh duck legs, 4 x 250g
green onions, 5, cut into 5cm lengths, green tips reserved
lemongrass stalk, 1, bruised, cut into 5cm pieces
ginger, 5cm, peeled, thinly sliced
garlic, 4 cloves, bruised, chopped
long red chilli, 1, whole
palm sugar, grated, ¼ cup
cinnamon quill, 1
star anise, 4 whole
water, 2 cups
orange, 2 cups juice, 4 peel strips
fish sauce, to taste
steamed Chinese broccoli, rice, to serve
- Heat oil in a large, flameproof casserole dish on high. Season duck with salt. Cook 5-6 minutes, turning to brown well all over. Transfer duck to a plate. Drain excess fat from pan (see tip).
- Saute onion, lemongrass, ginger, garlic and chilli in same dish on medium 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add palm sugar, cinnamon and star anise, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Add water, juice and peel to pan. Bring to the boil. Return duck to dish and reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, 2½ hours, until duck is tender and sauce reduced by half.
- Season with fish sauce. Serve with Chinese broccoli, rice and reserved green onion.
Reserved duck fat can be strained and kept refrigerated. Use for roasting potatoes or cooking confit.
See full comment guidelines
- Personal attacks
- Irrelevant comments
- HTML tags
- Personal information
- Offensive language
- Text in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS
Thank you for sharing your opinions with other users of
NineMSN. People will find your comments more helpful if you include
relevant information and avoid some common pitfalls.
Please note: All reviews and comments submitted are subject to moderation, NineMSN reserves the right to alter and / or remove any content that does not comply with usage guidelines.
What to include in your comment:
- A title that briefly summarizes the opinion expressed in the
- Additional comments adding more detail.
- Comparisons to other similar products, if this is relevant.
- To create a new paragraph, press the Enter key twice.
What not to include:
- Information that will quickly go out of date.
- Comments on other comments or commenters.
- Language that other users may find offensive.
- comments of one sentence or less. Provide information to support your
- Personal information like your email address or telephone number.
- HTML coding. Tags like <b> or <i> will not be recognized.