Pork and apple cider casserole with sage dumplings
Serves 4-6Cooking time:
More than 2 hoursCourse: Lunch
, MainFavourite flavours: Pork
See more recipes in this Week's Woman's Day.
pork shoulder, 1kg, trimmed, cubed
seasoned flour, 1/3 cup
olive oil, 2 tablespoons
pickling onions, 12 small, peeled
apples, 2, cored, cut into chunks
garlic, 2 cloves, crushed
apple cider, 345ml bottle
chicken stock, ½ cup
bay leaves, 2
baby carrots, 1 bunch, trimmed, peeled
steamed green beans, to serve
self-raising flour, 1½ cups
grated parmesan, ¼ cup
sage, finely chopped,
butter, 50g, chopped
buttermilk (or milk), 2/3 cup
- Preheat oven to moderately slow, 160°C.
- Dust pork in flour, shaking off excess. Heat half oil in a medium flameproof casserole dish on high. Brown pork in 2-3 batches, 2-3 minutes each. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan on medium. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, 4-5 minutes, until golden brown. Add apples and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes.
- Return pork to pan with cider, stock and bay leaves. Bring to boil. Remove from heat. Season to taste.
- Bake, covered, 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Stir in carrots. Bake a further 35-40 minutes, until pork is very tender and sauce thickens. Increase oven to hot, 200°C.
- SAGE DUMPLINGS: Meanwhile, sift flour into a bowl. Stir in parmesan and sage. Rub in butter, using fingertips, until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
Season to taste. Add buttermilk and use palette knife to mix quickly to a soft, sticky dough. Spoon tablespoons of mixture over casserole.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, uncovered, until dumplings are golden brown and puffed. Serve with steamed green beans.
- If baby carrots are unavailable, chop some large ones into batons.
- Seasoned flour is plain flour with added seasonings of choice.
See full comment guidelines
- Personal attacks
- Irrelevant comments
- HTML tags
- Personal information
- Offensive language
- Text in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS
Thank you for sharing your opinions with other users of
NineMSN. People will find your comments more helpful if you include
relevant information and avoid some common pitfalls.
Please note: All reviews and comments submitted are subject to moderation, NineMSN reserves the right to alter and / or remove any content that does not comply with usage guidelines.
What to include in your comment:
- A title that briefly summarizes the opinion expressed in the
- Additional comments adding more detail.
- Comparisons to other similar products, if this is relevant.
- To create a new paragraph, press the Enter key twice.
What not to include:
- Information that will quickly go out of date.
- Comments on other comments or commenters.
- Language that other users may find offensive.
- comments of one sentence or less. Provide information to support your
- Personal information like your email address or telephone number.
- HTML coding. Tags like <b> or <i> will not be recognized.