Chocolate croissant and plum pudding
See more recipes in this Week's Woman's Day.
cream, 300ml carton
milk, 1 cup
caster sugar, 1/3 cup
vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon
croissants, 5, sliced thinly lengthways
plums, 800g can, drained, halved, seeded
dark chocolate, 100g, chopped
- Preheat oven to moderately slow, 160°C.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cream, milk, sugar and vanilla. Bring almost to boiling point, stirring occasionally. Whisk eggs in a large, heatproof jug. Gradually pour hot cream mixture into eggs, whisking constantly.
- Layer croissants and plums in a shallow, 8-cup ovenproof dish. Tuck chocolate pieces in and around ingredients in dish. Pour custard over croissants. Set aside 10 minutes to soak.
- Place dish in a large baking pan. Pour enough boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the dish.
- Bake 1 hour, until pudding just sets. Set aside 5 minutes before serving.
- Use fresh, ripe plums, when in season.
- For a variation, use frozen raspberries and chopped white chocolate.