Roasted carrot and cumin soup
Serves 4Cooking time:
More than 1 hourCourse: Lunch
, MainFavourite flavours: Soup
See more recipes in this Week's Woman's Day.
carrots, 1kg, peeled, chopped
onion, 1 small
olive oil, 2 tablespoons
cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon
dried chilli, ¼ teaspoon
garlic cloves, 2, unpeeled
chicken stock, 5 cups
potato, 1, peeled, grated
thickened cream, cup
snipped chives, toasted Turkish bread, to serve
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Line oven tray with baking paper.
- Arrange carrot and onion on tray. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with seeds and chilli. Season.
- Bake 30 minutes. Add garlic and bake a further 15 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables to a medium saucepan with stock and potato. Squeeze garlic from skins and add to pan. Cook on high until boiling. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer 10-15 minutes until potato is tender.
- Blend or puree until smooth. Season to taste. Stir in half cream and reheat to boiling point.
- Serve with swirls of remaining cream, chives and cracked black pepper. Accompany with thin slices of toasted Turkish bread.