Pear and raspberry crumble
Serves 4-6Cooking time:
Less than 60 minutesCourse: DessertFavourite flavours: Cakes/baking
See more recipes in this Week's Woman's Day.
beurre bosc pears, 5, peeled, cored, sliced
water, 1/3 cup
brown sugar, 1 tablespoon
vanilla bean, 1, split, scraped
frozen raspberries, 1 cup
cream or ice-cream, to serve
plain flour, 2/3 cup
brown sugar, 1/3 cup, firmly packed
butter, 90g, chopped
macadamia nuts, ½ cup, chopped
desiccated coconut, ½ cup
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C.
- In a saucepan combine pears, water, sugar and vanilla (both scraped seeds and pod). Stir over a low heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer, uncovered, 4-5 minutes, until pears soften slightly. Remove from heat and mix berries through. Remove pod.
- CRUMBLE Sift flour into a medium bowl. Stir in sugar. Using your fingertips, rub in butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir nuts and coconut through.
- Spoon fruit mixture into a 6-cup shallow baking dish. Sprinkle crumble mixture over.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until crumble is crisp and golden. Serve with cream or ice-cream..
- Pears can be replaced with persimmons or apples such as Granny Smith, royal gala or pink lady. For a cheat’s version of crumble, combine 1½ cups crushed butternut or chocolate ripple biscuits with nuts and coconut. Sprinkle over fruit mixture and bake 10 minutes.