Banana rum tart tatin
Serves 4Cooking time:
Less than 30 minutesCourse: DessertFavourite flavours: Cakes/baking
See more recipes in this Week's Woman's Day.
bananas, 3, peeled, sliced diagonally (1cm)
frozen puff pastry, 2 sheets
vanilla ice-cream, to serve
RUM CARAMEL SAUCE
thickened cream, ½ ¼ cup
brown sugar, cup
dark spiced rum, 1 tablespoon
- Preheat oven to hot, 220°C. Lightly grease and line four 12cm loose-bottom flan pans with baking paper.
- SAUCE: In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients. Stir over a low heat until sugar dissolves and mixture is smooth. Increase heat to medium and simmer 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Place 1 tablespoon sauce in the base of each pan. Arrange banana slices in single layer over this.
- Cut two 13cm rounds from each sheet of pastry. Cover bananas with pastry, tucking edges under.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, until pastry is golden. Invert pans onto serving plates and remove baking paper. Serve with remaining warmed sauce and ice-cream.
- Rum can be replaced with ½ teaspoon vanilla extract and ¼ teaspoon mixed spice, if preferred.