Sticky pulled pork burgers
See more recipes in this Week's Woman's Day.
1 kg pork belly
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 cup water or stock
½cup smoky barbecue sauce
½ cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
8 small dinner rolls, split
grated cheese, sliced tomato, gherkins, to serve
MAKES 8 (SNACK SIZED)
- Score skin and underside of pork at 1cm intervals, to 1cm depth.
- In a small bowl, combine spices. Rub evenly over pork to coat. Season to taste. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a medium, heavy-based saucepan on high. Saute onion 1 -2 minutes. Add pork skin side down, and cook 3-4 minutes. Turn and cook 2-3 minutes, until browned all over. Remove.
- Add water, sauce, vinegar and sugar to same saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low.
- Return pork to pan, turning to coat in sauce. Cover with a cartouche (baking paper cut to fit inside saucepan, directly over pork, to retain moisture) and saucepan lid. Simmer gently 1½ hours, until meat is very tender and falls apart easily.
- Remove pork from sauce and use 2 forks to roughly shred. Set aside.
- Increase heat to high and bring liquid to a rapid simmer. Simmer uncovered for 8-10 minutes, until reduced by two thirds.
- Fill dinner rolls with cheese, tomato slices, shredded pork, reduced sauce and gherkins. Serve straight away.