Chocolate layer fudge cake
Serves 8Cooking time:
More than 1 hourCourse: DessertFavourite flavours: Cakes/baking
See more recipes in this Week's Woman's Day.
90g butter, chopped, at room temperature
1 cup caster sugar
2¼ cups self-raising flour
1/3 cup cocoa
¾ cup milk
1/3 cup boiling water
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
600ml thickened cream, whipped
1 cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa
1-2 tablespoons boiling water
¼ teaspoon coffee powder
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Lightly grease 2 x 20cm sandwich cake pans and line bases with lightly floured baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour and cocoa together. Fold into creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour.
- Combine water and bicarbonate of soda. Lightly fold into mixture. Pour into pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until cooked when tested. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- ICING. Sift icing sugar and cocoa together into a bowl. In a jug, combine water and coffee. Blend into icing sugar mixture until a smooth, spreadable consistency.
- Split cooled cakes to create 4 layers. Layer in between with cream. Spread icing over top.