Mini Christmas cakes for $1.30 per cake
See more recipes in this Week's Woman's Day.
mixed dried fruit, 375g packet
water, 1/4 cup
vegetable oil, 1/4 cup
sweet sherry, 1/2 cup
egg, 1, lightly beaten
carrot cake mix, 470g packet
slivered almonds, 100g packet
- Preheat oven to moderately slow, 160°C. Lightly grease an 8-hole mini loaf pan (see tip) and line bases with baking paper.
- Combine fruit, water and oil in a large saucepan. Bring to boil on medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool.
- Beat sherry and egg into fruit with a wooden spoon. Add cake mix and almonds, mixing well.
- Divide mixture evenly among loaf pan recesses, smoothing
tops. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool cakes completely in pan before turning out.
- To make in a muffin tray, divide mixture among 12 recesses lined with paper cases and bake 25-30 minutes.
- Try serving with custard.
- Decorate cake with whole blanched almonds or glace fruit before baking, if liked.