Vietnamese beef curry for $3.25 per serve
See more recipes in this Week's Woman's Day.
lemongrass stalk, 1, white root only, chopped
fresh ginger, 2cm, peeled, chopped
mild curry powder, 2 tablespoons
garlic, 2 cloves, roughly chopped
beef blade, 750g, trimmed, cubed
vegetable oil, 2 tablespoons
water, 2 cups
star anise, 2
cinnamon quill, 1
carrots, 2, cut into large chunks
coconut milk, 400ml can
fish sauce, 1 tablespoon, or to taste
palm sugar, grated, 1 teaspoon, or to taste
coriander, Vietnamese mint leaves, to serve
- In a food processor, combine lemongrass, ginger, curry powder and garlic. Pulse to form a smooth paste (use a little water if needed).
- Add marinade to beef in a large bowl, tossing to coat. Marinate in fridge 30 minutes or overnight.
- Heat oil in large, heavy-based saucepan on high. Add beef and marinade, cook 8-10 minutes, until browned and fragrant. Stir in water and spices. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add carrot, coconut milk, fish sauce and palm sugar. Simmer for a further hour, until beef is tender. Serve garnished with fresh herbs.
- For quality beef, look for the Meat Standards Australia (MSA) symbol at participating butchers and supermarkets.
See full comment guidelines
- Personal attacks
- Irrelevant comments
- HTML tags
- Personal information
- Offensive language
- Text in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS
Thank you for sharing your opinions with other users of
NineMSN. People will find your comments more helpful if you include
relevant information and avoid some common pitfalls.
Please note: All reviews and comments submitted are subject to moderation, NineMSN reserves the right to alter and / or remove any content that does not comply with usage guidelines.
What to include in your comment:
- A title that briefly summarizes the opinion expressed in the
- Additional comments adding more detail.
- Comparisons to other similar products, if this is relevant.
- To create a new paragraph, press the Enter key twice.
What not to include:
- Information that will quickly go out of date.
- Comments on other comments or commenters.
- Language that other users may find offensive.
- comments of one sentence or less. Provide information to support your
- Personal information like your email address or telephone number.
- HTML coding. Tags like <b> or <i> will not be recognized.