Crispy five spice chicken for $9.80
See more recipes in this week's Woman's Day.
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1½ tablespoons shaoxing cooking wine
2 teaspoons caster sugar
1 teaspoon five spice
¼ teaspoon ground anise
4 chicken thighs, skin on, bone removed
vegetable oil, for shallow frying
1 tomato, halved, sliced
1 lebanese cucumber, sliced into ribbons (see tip)
½ bunch watercress, trimmed
¼ cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon white pepper
½ teaspoon salt
- In a jug, combine soy, wine, sugar and spices. Place chicken in a shallow dish, pour mixture over, rubbing to coat. Cover and chill 2 hours.
- Heat oil in a wok or large deep frying pan on high. Shallow-fry chicken 4-5 minutes each side, until crisp, golden and cooked through. Season to taste. Drain on paper towel.
- DIPPING SAUCE: In small dipping bowl, combine juice, pepper and salt.
- Serve chicken with a salad of tomato, cucumber and watercress, and dipping sauce.
- Use a vegetable peeler to make ribbons of cucumber.