Cherry ripe slice
Serves 10 or moreCooking time:
More than 1 hourCourse: DessertFavourite flavours: Cakes/baking
See more recipes in this Week's Woman's Day.
butter, 90g, softened
caster sugar, 1/3 cup
vanilla essence, 1 teaspoon
self-raising flour, 2/3 cup
plain flour, 1/3 cup
dark chocolate, 90g, melted
desiccated coconut, 2 cups
red glace cherries, 2 x 100g packets, chopped
buttermilk, ¾ cup
caster sugar, ¼ cup
self-raising flour, 2 tablespoons
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Lightly grease and line a 20cm square cake pan with baking paper.
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla together until pale and creamy. Beat in egg. Fold in combined sifted flours. Press mixture evenly and firmly into pan (see tip).
- TOPPING Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Spread over base.
- Bake 40-45 minutes. Cool in pan. Drizzle with chocolate. Chill until chocolate is set, then cut into squares. Store in airtight container.
- Use floured fingertips when pressing base mixture into pan.
- If you have a fan-forced oven, reduce temperature by 10-20°C.