Serves 4-6Cooking time:
More than 1 hourCourse: Lunch
, MainFavourite flavours: Easy recipes
See more recipes in this Week's Woman's Day.
olive oil, 2 tablespoons
veal shin (osso bucco), 1kg
plain flour, ¾ cup, seasoned
carrots, 2, finely chopped
celery, 2 stalks, finely chopped
onion, 1, finely chopped
garlic cloves, 2, crushed
thyme, 4 sprigs
bay leaf, 1
white wine or dry vermouth, ½ cup
diced tomatoes, 400g can
beef stock, ½ cup
mashed potatoes, to serve
- Heat oil and butter together in a large, heavy-based saucepan on high. Dust veal in flour, shaking off excess. Cook 2-3 minutes each side, until well browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic, thyme and bay leaf. Cook 3 minutes, stirring, until lightly browned. Stir in wine. Simmer 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and stock and bring to boil. Return veal to pan. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, 1 hour, until veal is very tender. Season to taste and serve with mash.
- To freeze, cool completely and transfer to freezer containers or snap lock bags. Label and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
- This dish can also be baked, covered, in a very slow oven, 120°C, for around 3 hours or until the meat begins to fall off the bone.