See more recipes in this Week's Woman's Day.
chicken breasts, 4 small
plain flour, 2/3 cup, seasoned
eggs, 2, lightly beaten
dry breadcrumbs, 1 cup
olive oil, ¼ cup
steamed Dutch carrots,
vegetables of choice, to serve
butter, 125g, softened
tarragon, finely chopped,
lemon juice, 1 teaspoon
garlic clove, 1, crushed
- Cut a 3cm lengthways pocket in centre of each chicken breast.
- STUFFING In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, yolk, tarragon, juice, garlic and Tabasco until pale and smooth. Transfer to a snap lock bag. Push mixture into one corner and snip off the tip.
- Pipe butter mixture evenly into chicken breast cavities and fold excess flesh over to enclose. Chill 15 minutes until filling is firm.
- Toss each breast in flour, shaking off excess. Dip into egg then coat in breadcrumbs. If freezing, do so at this stage by wrapping in plastic wrap and freezing in an airtight container. Defrost in fridge 1 hour before baking.
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Line oven tray with baking paper.
- Heat butter and oil together in a large frying pan on medium. Fry thawed breasts 4 minutes each side, or partially defrosted breasts 6 minutes each side, until golden, being careful not to burn the breadcrumb coating.
- Transfer to tray and bake 15 minutes to cook through. Serve with steamed Dutch carrots or vegetables of choice.
- We made a traditional Chicken Kiev filling, but you can also try making your own flavoured butter, using soft herbs such as basil and adding grated citrus or your favourite mustard.