Honey sesame prawns
See more recipes in this Week's Woman's Day.
self-raising flour, 1 cup
water, 1 cup
white pepper, ¼ teaspoon
oil, for deep frying
green prawns, 750g, peeled, deveined, tails on
cornflour, ½ cup
honey, ½ cup
vegetable oil, 1 tablespoon
sesame seeds, 1 tablespoon
steamed vegetables and rice,
- In a bowl, whisk plain flour, water, egg and pepper together. Season with salt. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a medium heavy-based saucepan on medium high, until a drop of batter sizzles as soon as it is added.
- Dust prawns in cornflour, shaking off excess. Working in 3 batches, hold each prawn by the tail and dip into batter, wiping off excess. Gently lower into oil and fry for 1-2 minutes, turning, until crisp and golden.
- In a large frying pan, combine honey, oil and sesame seeds. Stir on a low heat until smooth and runny. Add prawns. Serve straight away with vegetables and rice.
- We used a mixture of purple and green basil leaves, but you can also use Thai basil for a more authentic flavour (you’ll find it in Asian stores).