Pea and ham soup
For more recipes, see this week's Woman's Day.
500g yellow split peas
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 ham bone
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 celery, chopped
2 litres chicken stock
2 cups water
chopped parsley, croutons,
- Rinse split peas under cold running water until water runs clear. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large stockpot on high. Saute onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, until tender. Add ham bone, split peas, carrots and celery, followed by chicken stock and water.
- Bring to the boil on high. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 2 hours, skimming top occasionally.
- Remove ham bone from soup. Remove and shred large pieces of ham, and return to soup. Season to taste. Sprinkle with parsley and serve topped with croutons. Or allow to cool and portion out for storage in freezer.
- Soup can be frozen in individual airtight containers or ziplock bags.
- Thaw in the fridge and reheat until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.