For more recipes, see this week's Woman's Day.
250g butter, chopped,
at room temperature
1¼ cups pure icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups plain flour
½ cup rice flour
1/3 cup cornflour
2 tablespoons milk
pretzels, chocolate chips,
Jelly Tots, to decorate
1½ cups icing sugar, sifted
1½ teaspoons milk
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to moderately slow, 160°C . Lightly grease and line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and extract until light and fluffy. Sift flours together. Fold into mixture, in 2 batches, with milk.
- Lightly knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Divide mixture in two and roll into two flat discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Roll out dough between two sheets of baking paper to 5mm thick. Using a bell-shaped cutter, cut shapes from dough. Place on trays, 3cm apart. Bake 15-20 minutes, until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- ICING: In a small bowl, beat egg-white until foamy. Gradually add icing sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Spread on each cookie.
- Turn cookies so bell shape is upside down, and press two pretzels into the top corners of each for antlers. Use chocolate chips for reindeers’ eyes and Jelly Tots for noses. Store cookies in an airtight container.
See more Christmas recipes and festive season tips here!